Teen who planned a school shooting was reported to authorities by his own mother

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:


  • A teenager who planned to perform a school shooting was arrested after his mother turned him in.
  • Law enforcers at College Place, Washington, say they’ve prevented what could have been another school massacre, thanks to a mother who made a tough decision.
  • The 17-year-old student’s mom has spoken out after turning her son in to police upon learning from his journal that he was plotting an attack on the anniversary of the Columbine shooting.



The mother of a teenager has broken her silence after turning her son in to police upon learning he was planning a mass shooting on the anniversary of the Columbine massacre — on April 20, 2020.

The woman, who was only identified as Nicole, spoke to CBS News, telling how she made the toughest decision to notify the authorities in September after reading her son’s journal, in which the 17-year-old wrote a plan to attack his school in Washington state, College Place High School.

April 20th will be the 21st anniversary of the Columbine High School mass shooting in Colorado, which left 13 people dead.

The high school student allegedly detailed his plan, including the use of pipe bombs and firearms to “blast anyone in sight.”

The teen reportedly claimed it was just a creative writing exercise when ‘Nicole’ asked about the disturbing journal entry. She was faced with a difficult decision before finally contacting the police, who arrested the teenager on Sept. 17.

“I know a lot of people that go to College Place High School,” Nicole told CBS News. “It’s devastating. I know I did all I can do and that I made the right choice.”

College Place Police Chief Troy Tomaras said he was “very grateful” for Nicole’s actions, calling her “courageous.”

Nicole said turning her son in made her feel like she had done “something wrong” as a mother because her son, who was not identified, had been battling depression. She can only hope he would be safer in jail.

“It takes a lot to do what I did,” she told the media outlet. “It wasn’t easy.”

In a statement released in September after the student’s arrest, the school said that it took the threat “very seriously” and would “be working with the authorities to ensure the safety of all students and staff.”

Source: AOL.Com

 

Source: AOL.Com

You Might Like

One Response

  1. Walter Pautsch October 9, 2019

Add Comment