WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- An iPhone battery explodes inside a woman’s car due to summer heat — burning the inside of the vehicle, leaving a crater on the seats and the speakers dripping like wax.
- The culprit: a replacement iPhone battery Jabricia Pratt bought online that exploded inside her 2019 Jeep Cherokee.
- “My car had literally burned up,” the mother-of-three told KFOR, adding that she has had no luck contacting the seller, LeeVee, and Amazon told her it was not responsible for what the third-party seller provided.
An Oklahoma mom was devastated that her car was destroyed by fire after a replacement iPhone battery she bought online exploded inside the vehicle.
Jabricia Pratt showed local news outlet, KFOR, the damage the explosion caused the inside of her 2019 Jeep Cherokee — the car seats are melted, leaving a crater, the windows caked in ash and the speakers dripping like wax.
“My car had literally burned up,” the mother-of-three told the station. “It had melted down into the seat. It was exploded and [firefighters] said, ‘Here’s the culprit.’”
Pratt was at work while her car burned outside her office. According to firefighters, the iPhone’s battery exploded. Pratt told the station she brought the replacement battery from a third-party seller on Amazon.
The firefighters warned her that it could have been more devastating had her car window been cracked because the oxygen could feed the fire.
“I could’ve been in the car,” Pratt told the media outlet, imagining the worse. “My kids could’ve been in the car.”
She said she has had no luck contacting the Amazon seller, LeeVee, and the type of battery she bought is no longer being offered online.
Pratt added that Amazon has responded but told her it was not responsible for what the third-party seller provided.
“They basically told me they were really sorry for everything that happened but that it’s technically not their responsibility,” Pratt said.
Source: New York Post