WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- More and more American service members are confirmed to have been transported from Iraq onto medical facilities in Germany and Kuwait to undergo medical treatment for injuries with concussion-like symptoms.
- Although numbers were not specified, officials said the number of troops was quite small and that they just needed to be thoroughly examined for potential injuries that may occur later.
- Injuries surfaced days after the Iranian attack on military facilities where over a thousand U.S. servicemen are staying.
U.S. defense officials said Tuesday that more American troops have been transported out of Iraq for necessary medical treatment and evaluations of possible injuries following Iran’s Jan. 8 missile attack.
Although military officials declined to say how many more are receiving care, they said it was a small number. Last week, additional U.S. personnel who were identified as having potential injuries were flown from Iraq to U.S. hospitals in Germany and Kuwait for further assessment of concussion-like symptoms.
While a spokesman for U.S. Central Command Navy Capt. Bill Urban validated the additional evacuations, he did not specify how many were included.
He said on Tuesday evening: “These service members — out of an abundance of caution — have been transported to Landstuhl, Germany, for further evaluations and necessary treatment on an outpatient basis. Given the nature of injuries already noted, it is possible additional injuries may be identified in the future.”
As of last Tuesday night, President Trump announced that he had received information that no Americans had died and suffered injuries. At the time, the question of American casualties was very significant, especially that the missile attack was viewed as affecting a U.S. decision on whether to extend the war with Iran.
However, tensions with Iran were sort of mitigated as Trump chose not to retaliate.
The injuries appeared days after the Iranian attack at Ain Al Assad airbase in western Iraq. Based on medical tests, service members who were there during the attack were found suffering from concussion-like symptoms.
The strike was launched in retaliation for a U.S. killing of Iran’s most powerful military general, Qassem Soleimani, on January 3.
Source: Fox News