Manhattan: Terror attack linked to ISIS, 8 killed

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:


  • Eight people were killed and eleven others were injured when a terrorist reportedly drove down a bike path near the West Side Highway Tuesday in Manhattan, New York City.
  • The truck driver was identified as 29-year-old Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov, an Uzbekistan native, who came to the U.S. in 2010.
  • Police found a note inside the truck claiming that the attack was made for the Islamic State terrorist group or ISIS.



Saipov was driving a Home Depot rental truck when it hopped a curb at West Houston Street to run down people on a bike path in lower Manhattan at around 3:05 p.m, law enforcement said.

He crashed the truck into a school bus, got out of the vehicle brandishing two imitation firearms and shouted “Allahu Akbar,” meaning “God is Great”.  An NYPD police officer shot the suspect in the abdomen and he was rushed to a nearby hospital.

Recovered from the scene were a pellet gun and a paintball gun.

Six people died at the scene and two died at the hospital. At least 11 people were seriously injured and rushed to the hospital, according to New York Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro.

“This was an act of terror, and a particularly cowardly act of terror aimed at innocent civilians, aimed at people going about their lives who had no idea what was about to hit them,” New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said.

Kobiljon Matkarov, a fellow Uzbekistan national said he knew Saipov from Florida, where the suspect used to live. Matkarov also mentioned that there was no indication that he would do such a violent crime. Public records indicate that Saipov has a commercial truck license.

Matkarov said Saipov was recently living in New Jersey and was driving for Uber. The transportation company confirmed Saipov had been a driver for Uber and was able to pass a background check.

An Uber spokesperson said, “We are horrified by this senseless act of violence. Our hearts are with the victims and their families. We have reached out to law enforcement to provide our full assistance.”

Although the crime was being treated as an act of terrorism, New York authorities said it didn’t seem to be part of any larger plot.

President Donald Trump wrote on Twitter that it “looks like another attack by a very sick and deranged person” and “NOT IN THE U.S.A.!”

A follow-up tweet by the president read: “We must not allow ISIS to return, or enter, our country after defeating them in the Middle East and elsewhere. Enough!”

Uzbekistan is not included in the list of countries under the government’s travel restrictions.

The intelligence community had no knowledge of any claim of responsibility from any group during that time, a U.S. counterterrorism official said on Tuesday afternoon.

Source: AOL

Related Posts

6 thoughts on “Manhattan: Terror attack linked to ISIS, 8 killed

  1. I wonder if this was the trucks fault. I mean, the left always portrays a shooting as the guns fault. Maybe we should outlaw trucks now? Really though. There are sick people in the world and they will find a way to commit atrocities no matter how many laws and regulations are passed. What we need to do is vet foreigners coming into this country better. It is not a 100% fix, but giving out visas like candy is asking for more trouble.

  2. People need to educate themselves before they open their mouth. Most of our terrorist attacks are from our own people than from foreigners coming into this country. Yes there are some but the quota is our own people. I think we shouldn’t put them in jail for 20 years we should just put them to sleep permanently. We should also bring back capital punishment where there is no doubt the person did it and that that person in no way can ever be let out because they are a danger. The reason is there are people who wind up in jail who are innocent but some creep falsely said differently whether it was a hateful person or a cop wanting a pat on the back doing a botched job. When our country is in need of jobs we should cut back of anyone coming here to live and at the same time we need to check out who is getting welfare, or any funding to make sure they are not living a double life. SS numbers should be handed out in the hospital when you are born and if the child dies the number is given up back to SS this way you know from the start they have only 1 number and that they only applied once. This way the parents have the number and the birth certificate company holds the number for you and only you to retrieve.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *