False Reports Trigger Violent Clash Between Police and Civilians in Chicago’s South Side


  • False reports that an unarmed man was shot dead by police provoked a violent clash between civilians and the police late Saturday afternoon.
  • Police officers squared off with some 150 residents from the black neighborhoods of Chicago’s South Side along Block 2000 on 71st Street.
  • Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said that cameras worn by police showed the man shot was armed with what appeared to be a handgun.

A violent clash between police officers and residents from the black neighborhoods of Chicago’s South Side occurred early Sunday after a man was fatally shot by a police officer.

About 150 residents threw rocks and bottles of water and urine while screaming obscenities at the police, some even jumped on police cars. The officers armed with batons retaliated, with punches thrown from both sides.

The aftermath of the clash included three to four officers suffering from minor injuries, one damaged police car and at least four protesters arrested.

“The whole situation was difficult for all involved,” said Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi.

There has been a series of black people killed and shot by U.S. police that has ignited nationwide protests. The man who was shot multiple times by a police officer and whose race is still unknown was identified as 37-year-old Harith Augustus of Chicago.

Chicago police patrol Chief Fred Waller reported to media that according to the cameras worn by the police and those installed on telephone poles that captured the shooting incident, Augustus was armed with what appeared to be a handgun.

Patrol officers apprehended Augustus who was suspected of having a gun as evidenced by a bulge on his trousers and was “exhibiting the characteristics of an armed person.” Augustus tried to escape and was seen reaching out for the gun.

Later, a handgun and 2 magazines of ammunition believed to be the man’s were retrieved from the scene.  Guglielmi stated that the riot was fueled by false information that Augustus was unarmed or that he had a permit to carry a weapon when he was gunned down.

“There was some inaccurate information that the individual was unarmed,” he said. “We have cops out there, community affairs officers, trying to give them as much information as we can. … There were some members of the community who were upset. This is a tragic situation where an individual lost his life.’’

He further reported that the officer involved in the shooting was put on desk duty while the investigation is still ongoing.

The violent incident ended at 10:30 Saturday evening and was followed by a peaceful protest that ended on Sunday early morning.

Source: AOL


Around The Web


  1. Joey Romano July 18, 2018
  2. Joseph Kinge July 19, 2018
  3. Frank August 7, 2018

Add Comment